The launch of the Coventry and Warwickshire Story in March 2012 was a move that business leaders across Coventry and Warwickshire had been waiting for.
The story emerged from concerns that Coventry and Warwickshire’s voice wasn’t getting heard above those of other places; there was no simple story explaining what we’re all about and why we’re trying to achieve as a place; and that there was no shared sense of ambition.
A variety of businesses and organisations came together in 2012 to create an agenda for putting Coventry and Warwickshire on the map and drive growth locally. That became the Coventry and Warwickshire Champions Board which is chaired by Les Ratcliffe, previously Head of Community Relations at Jaguar Land Rover.
Coventry and Warwickshire has so much to offer to potential investors and existing businesses. We have a lot of assets, major businesses, attractions and big brands that make it as attractive as a place for business and pleasure, but not enough people know about them. So it was decided to bring people together in a scheme that would increase knowledge about the area and raise confidence about its future prospects. Thus, the Coventry and Warwickshire Champions scheme was born.
Role and objectives of Coventry & Warwickshire Place Board Members
You are a Member of Coventry & Warwickshire Place Board (which governs Champions) and, to this end, we would ask that you adhere to the following values and standards and, if and where appropriate, fiduciary responsibilities by signing below:
- You view yourself as a guardian of the brand of Coventry and Warwickshire and seek to ‘talk up’ the brand and all that it represents.
- You commit, in time and resource, to being an advocate for Coventry and Warwickshire, our great, diverse, vibrant and entrepreneurial City and County.
- You commit time to attending Board meetings and, ad-hoc meetings/events and agree to attend at least three Board meetings per year.
- You evidence behaviours and practices which are ethical, genuine and trustworthy.
- You declare known Conflicts of Interest.
- You view the CW Place Board as having overarching responsibility for the success of Champions, and related activities, acting in the interests of the organisation rather than the interests of your organisation or business.
- You invest your time (and that of your organisation) in learning about the great assets of Coventry & Warwickshire in order that you can best ‘promote them’ to others.
- You seek out planned, strategic opportunities (alongside the day-to-day opportunities) to promote Coventry & Warwickshire as a place to invest.
- You become visible and known as a Champion for the area.
- You seek out opportunities to ‘externalise’ the messaging around Coventry & Warwickshire being a place to live, work, enjoy, and, importantly, invest.
- You commit your time, influence and networks to “tell the story” of Coventry & Warwickshire to the outside world.
- You identify opportunities to engage other organisations and/or businesses to engage and connect with CW Place and Champions and, of course, the Coventry & Warwickshire region.
- Substitution– only where agreed.
Coventry & Warwickshire is a place which reflects pride; peace & reconciliation; great events, partnerships & networks; innovation, technology and research & development; a City of Culture; a place of learning and skills development; a place to do business.
Your Coventry & Warwickshire!
Coventry & Warwickshire Place Board,